Baltimore Lead Community Organizer Job Description
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Summary: Progressive Maryland was founded to empower communities to act for social and economic justice by developing leaders and cultivating allies in order to build a grassroots movement with the power to advance economic, racial, and environmental equity. We are made up of over 125,000 individual members and supporters and dozens of affiliated religious, community and labor organizations statewide.
Lead Community Organizer: The Baltimore Lead Organizer will work to sustain and expand PMD's organizing work in Baltimore by developing our local chapter and engaging community members in ongoing campaigns. The Lead Organizer builds an ongoing base of volunteers and community leaders who identify with and support the mission of Progressive Maryland, as well as leads on issue campaigns in the city with our members. The Lead Organizer participates in solidarity in statewide issue campaigns with PMD members from other chapters across the state. The Organizer also builds relationships with allied organizations and elected officials in the city of Baltimore. Under the supervision of our Director of Organizing, the Lead Organizer works in concert with staff organizers in other jurisdictions to execute grassroots organizing plans that further PMD’s programmatic goals.
- Recruit, manage, and train PMD members to build community relationships, canvass, and door-knock during and after election season
- Build grassroots power around multiple issue campaigns, including Mass Liberation, Campaign Finance Reform, and Healthcare.
- Recruit, develop and train PMD members to take positions of leadership with issue campaigns
- Meet base building and outreach goals
- Maintain and track outreach to contacts in the organization’s database
- Use phones, social media, and community outreach techniques to recruit and identify prospective members
- Track and report data in an accurate and timely fashion each week
- Represent PMD at community events and meetings across Baltimore
- Cultivate grassroots donors by creating positive leadership relationships with members
- Experience working on a social justice issue and/or progressive electoral campaign
- Experience in canvassing, phone banking, digital organizing, and direct community organizing
- Basic computer literacy and database skills and a willingness to learn new platforms
- Ability to work a flexible schedule in a fast-paced, metrics-driven work environment
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure while handling multiple projects
- Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and a team lead
- Strong coaching skills and ability to train member volunteers
Pluses (but not required)
- Familiarity with Maryland political systems on the city, county, and state level
- Residence in Baltimore
- Experience with Votebuilder/VAN and other campaign platforms
- Spanish language proficiency
- Experience with and/or substantial knowledge of the Maryland prison industrial complex and Statewide education politics
- Familiarity with Baltimore politics and issues of concern to Baltimore residents
Travel: All positions require reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, laptop, phone, and willingness to travel and work on the road throughout Baltimore City, County, and the state of Maryland.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience between $40,000-$50,000. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com with “Baltimore Lead Community Organizer” in the email subject line. No phone calls. Only complete applications submitted by email will be considered. Complete applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a hire is made.
Progressive Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQ people, Returning Citizens, and Immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.