Summary: Progressive Maryland is a multi-racial, working-class political organization that is building a movement to save our planet and put working people in control of our government and economy while ending all forms of structural oppression within our state. We are made up of over 125,000 individual members and supporters and dozens of affiliated religious, community and labor organizations statewide.
Community Organizer: The Community Organizer will work to sustain and expand PMD's organizing work by developing our local chapters and engaging community members in ongoing campaigns. The Community Organizer builds an ongoing base of volunteers and community leaders who identify with and support the mission of Progressive Maryland, as well as leads on issue campaigns with our members. The Community Organizer participates in solidarity in statewide issue campaigns with PMD members from other chapters across the state. The Community Organizer also builds relationships with allied organizations and elected officials. Under the supervision of our Executive Director, the Community Organizer works in concert with other staff organizers to execute grassroots organizing plans that further PMD’s programmatic goals.
- Build grassroots power around multiple issue campaigns
- Recruit, develop, and train PMD members to take positions of leadership with issue campaigns
- Recruit, manage, and train PMD members to build community relationships, canvass, and door-knock before, during, and after election season
- Use phones, social media, and community outreach techniques to recruit and identify prospective members
- Cultivate grassroots donors by creating positive leadership relationships with members
- Meet base building and outreach goals, which are tracked and reported in an accurate and timely fashion each week
- With the support of the Executive Director, develop and implement organizing plans
- Represent PMD at community events and meetings
- Experience leading on a social justice issue and/or progressive electoral campaign
- Direct experience in grassroots community organizing, canvassing, and phone banking
- Basic computer literacy and a willingness to quickly learn and use new digital platforms
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure while handling multiple projects
- Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and a team lead
- Ability to train and manage member volunteers
- The ability to think, reflect, communicate, challenge the conventional wisdom, make judgments in complicated situations, and show flexibility
- A clear sense of the challenges our communities face, impatience in the face of those wrongs, and a drive to address them
- Residence in Maryland or willingness to relocate prior to starting the position
Pluses (but not required)
- Familiarity with Maryland political systems on the city, county, and state level
- Experience with Votebuilder/VAN and other campaign platforms
- Experience with and/or understanding of economic justice issues
Travel: All positions require reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, laptop, phone, and willingness to travel throughout Maryland.
Salary, Benefits, and Position Details: Salary is commensurate with experience between $40,000-$50,000. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
To Apply: Please send a 1-page or less story of self that tells us why you want to be or became an organizer, resume, and three professional references to [email protected] with “Community Organizer” in the email subject line. Only complete applications submitted by email will be considered. Complete applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a hire is made.
Progressive Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, Returning Citizens, and Immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.