Central and Western Maryland Regional Organizer Job Description
Location: Baltimore County, Maryland
Summary: Progressive Maryland was founded to empower communities to act for social and economic justice by developing leaders and cultivating allies in order to build a grassroots movement with the power to advance economic, racial, and environmental equity. We are made up of over 125,000 individual members and supporters and dozens of affiliated religious, community and labor organizations statewide. Central and Western Maryland Regional Organizer: The Central and Western Maryland Regional Organizer will work to sustain and expand PMD's organizing work in Baltimore, Howard, and Frederick Counties by developing our local chapters and engaging community members in ongoing campaigns. The Regional Organizer builds an ongoing base of volunteers and community leaders who identify with and support the mission of Progressive Maryland, as well as leads on issue campaigns in these counties with our members. Our current campaigns in that region focus on public financing of local elections, collective bargaining rights for community college faculty, and drug policy reform. The Regional Organizer participates in solidarity in statewide issue campaigns with PMD members from other chapters across the state. The Organizer also builds relationships with allied organizations and elected officials throughout western and central Maryland. Under the supervision of our Director of Organizing, the Regional Organizer works in concert with staff
organizers in other jurisdictions to execute grassroots organizing plans that further PMD’s programmatic goals. In addition, the Central and Western Maryland Regional Organizer will serve as the main point of contact for our members in Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett counties.
● Build grassroots power around multiple issue campaigns
● Recruit, develop and train PMD members to take positions of leadership with issue campaigns
● Recruit, manage, and train PMD members to build community relationships, canvass, and door-knock before, during, and after election season
● Use phones, social media, and community outreach techniques to recruit and identify prospective members
● Cultivate grassroots donors by creating positive leadership relationships with members
● Meet base building and outreach goals, which are tracked and reported in an accurate and timely fashion each week
● With the support of the Director of Organizing, manage a team of 4 college student interns
● With the support of the Director of Organizing, develop and implement organizing plans
● Represent PMD at community events and meetings across Baltimore, Howard, and Frederick counties
● Experience working on a social justice issue and/or progressive electoral campaign
● Experience in community organizing, canvassing, and phone banking
● Basic computer literacy and a willingness to learn new platforms
● Ability to meet deadlines under pressure while handling multiple projects
● Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and a team lead
● Ability to train and manage member volunteers
Pluses (but not required)
● Familiarity with Maryland political systems on the city, county, and state level
● Residence in Baltimore, Howard, or Frederick counties
● Experience with Votebuilder/VAN and other campaign platforms
● Experience with and/or understanding of collective bargaining issues, youth/student organizing, and getting money out of politics
● Familiarity with Central and Western Maryland politics and issues of concern to residents
Travel: All positions require reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, laptop, phone, and willingness to travel throughout Baltimore, Howard, and Frederick counties (regularly) and elsewhere in Maryland (as needed).
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience between $45,000-$55,000. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com with “Central and Western Maryland Regional Organizer” in the email subject line. No phone calls, please. Only complete applications submitted by email will be considered. Complete applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a hire is made.
Progressive Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, People of Color,
LGBTQ people, Returning Citizens, and Immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply.